The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Are all stock EVO IX pistons forged?

LIV4PSI

I am in the process of planning an engine build for when the time comes. I recently came across some debate that EVO IX pistons are/aren't forged. I did some research, but it just confused me more. There were some posts on EVOM.net that mentioned them being half forged or hybrids. Can anyone shed some light for me, or post a link. Thanks in advance

citymunky

All the ones I seen are forged. I had a set for sale a while back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SPaYI3_wY&feature=player_embedded

Edit: Pic's of EVO 9 forged pistons

pistons001.jpg

2qmos38.jpg

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I didn't know they coat the skirts from the factory, nice.

mitsuturbo

FYI...

Supposedly, Mahle makes those. I'm not sure how true that is, but they certainly look similar.

Last edited:

tsijohn333

From my understanding, all evo 8, 9 , 10 pistons are all HALF forged. If they were full forged, they would be to loud for the evo knock sensor, therefore giving false knock. BUT on another note, being half forged like they are, is an excellent upgrade and can be picked up at a decent price.

Vr4junkie

Do you know about how much a good set goes for?

LIV4PSI

Quoting tsijohn333:
From my understanding, all evo 8, 9 , 10 pistons are all HALF forged. If they were full forged, they would be to loud for the evo knock sensor, therefore giving false knock. BUT on another note, being half forged like they are, is an excellent upgrade and can be picked up at a decent price.

I am almost positive that this is misinformation. I think there are big differences between EVO 8 and EVO 9 pistons. I have never heard of anyone needing a new knock sensor when going to forged pistons on any turbo car. I have only heard of small amounts of piston slap on start up.

As far as pricing goes, I believe $300 a set new.

curtis

I've got two sets of them with rods on ebay or should I say 1.75 sets. One of the pistons is toasted.

click me

I've heard yes and no that you can use the 7 bolt rods on a 6 bolt crank. I actually ended up with a set of pauter rods and tried to find a thrust style bearing for each rod but finally just traded them to Boostx and got a set of manley 6 bolt rods.

Vr4junkie

300 for the set hope it comes with rings and another 120 for machining the rods how much better is the this setup over the 1g/2g pistons combo?

LIV4PSI

I think paying the money to machine the rods is a waste, I would just buy forged 7 bolt rods. As far as how much better than a 2g piston setup? Its the difference of being cast vs forged, and aluminum vs. steel I believe. 2G pistons aren't any stronger than 1G pistons, just a high compression ration.

Thanks for all of the responses!

mitsuturbo

Stock 4g63 rods, are in fact, forged. I've seen it argued over and again that they're not, but even the FSM states that they are.

Having said that, i've run eagles, and tobin-arp'd 1g rods with 2g pistons. Here's why it's okay to go with modified 1g rods, and why "just buying forged 7 bolt rods" is a lot more expensive in the end.
Using 1g rods, you're going to be running an interference (press fit) wrist pin. This means you can run a cheap piston, like a 2g or evo. If you "just buy forged 7 bolt rods", first of all, they're not going to fit your 6 bolt crankshaft properly, AND they're not going to be interference (press fit) on the wrist pin. You will be REQUIRED to procure forged pistons with a floating pin that is retained by locks, within the piston itself, rather than the piston floating on a pin fixed to the rod. Even buying 6 bolt rods with the right size on the small end, which would fit your crankshaft properly, you're left with the issue of a floating vs press fit wrist pin. Buying forged aftermarket rods, so you can run a press fit pin is simply not wise, or acceptable. I am not certain it's even POSSIBLE without being a very special order.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned